Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Blue VW Bug

My parents owned a blue Volkswagen Bug. It was around 1970. I was about 8 years old and I remember taking a 2 week vacation to Colorado in it. My Dad drove and my Mom sat in front in the front holding my 6 month old baby brother on her lap. Car seats didn't exist, and seat belts were optional. My older brother shared the backseat with me. Mom packed 2 small suitcases, and we always had an ice chest full of food. The old ice chest had to have ice in it and I remember my parents opening the drain hole on the bottom to drain the excess water. My parents took us on a 2 week vacation every year. How did they afford it?? 5 people in a VW bug. Have you ever seen the size of the trunk? It was in the front, and the engine was in the back. 2 weeks. No DVD players, gameboys, T.V, air conditioning or cup holders. Interesting huh? Compare that to how we travel today. Imagine if families were that conservative now...

No comments: