Sunday, March 29, 2009

The love of it all!

On Friday, I came to the end of a long journey. I no longer read meters. Due to the city installing radio frequency electric, gas and water meters there is now no need to have people walk and read them with their eyes. Oh, technology is a wonderful thing, don't get me wrong, I mean where would we be with out cell phones, computers, i pods, digital TV, and even self check at the grocery store? Unfortunately what comes with it sometimes is the loss of jobs. Just think next time you check your own groceries at the store, you have just replaced a person. Look over at the check out employees, they are making an income by checking groceries..your checking your own, your not getting paid. Seems kinda senseless doesn't it?

I was very lucky to have been able to read meters for almost nine years. Being in the outdoors away from the watchful eye of my employer. No phones ringing, fluorescent lighting, stale air. I delighted in seeing the first crocus and daffodil peeking through the dirt. Working in the country, leaning over the whitewash fence to rub the nose of my favorite horse. Watching the deer run through the trees next to me. Petting all my favorite dogs. Riding a farmers 4-wheeler through the cornfield, or a golf cart at the golf course just to read a electric meter. Hearing the wind blow through the evergreen trees on a quiet morning, and the first birds sweetly sing as spring was beginning and winter was coming to a close. Taking time to play on a little girls swing set who was dying of cancer, going down her slide and listening to her laugh, and riding a sled with some kids down a huge snow hill.

I can't forget working in a blizzard with 20 degree below wind chill and having my hair freeze or falling into a fish pond covered in snow. After climbing out, my pants froze solid in a matter of minutes. Rain coming down so hard it was like standing in a shower. Getting bit by dogs (6 in all, the most recent was on my birthday March 10th.) Breaking my ribs, stepping on a nail (and pulling it out!).

Yes, I will miss all of it. It's funny that sometimes when I was in the midst of all of it, it wore on me and I would wonder if I enjoyed my job. But as I reflect back on the highs and lows, I now realize how lucky I am to have experienced every minute of it.

No comments: