Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Unsurpassed friendship

Tonight I had cocktails with some of the most important people in the world. No, it wasn't the President of the United States, or my State Senator or Governor. I had cocktails with students who are being educated in the field of Sonography.

What makes these people so important? The fact that they are everyday people, with busy lives, who are willing to go the extra mile to learn something that will assist someone in need. They are giving up many important things to pursue a career in this field. A very demanding field. They are glorious people. These very people have embraced me as their friend and are able to see the person that I really am, although my circumstances have brought about a different path for me.

That is what being a professional is really about. The 5 people at my table with me tonight are just that. It's not about how much power you have over someone, not how you can intimidate or control. It's not about the grade you get on paper, because truly, that is only determined by the person with the red ink pen who grades your test. These 5 people will go the distance and stand out from the crowd. Why? Because they have integrity, morals, compassion and are truly humble souls.. My friends are strong people with values. They will make it in this profession, because of their self esteem and self respect. Yes, others will make it in this profession, but they truly will never succeed without those vital characteristics.

I have learned that when tragedy hits, values change, relationships become more precious, and life itself more important than any day-to-day occupation or any material possession. When your values change, your life changes. Although hard to believe, people that mourn are really comforted, and believe it or not, they are happy. And I know, when presented with a tragic situation, these are the people you will want at your side, because they know the most important thing in life is to live your life for something more important than your life... that's what happy people do.

2 comments:

Dovi said...

This was beautifully written

Dovi
x

svojoh said...

Thanks!