Friday, September 3, 2010

Untitled

"Come on in, what's going on?" he says without making eye contact with me.
"The usual" I answer quietly. I sit down in the big couch and wait for him to turn his chair towards me. I assume I am the last customer of the day because it is late, and I am understanding of this and wait for his attention to divert to me.
"Your enthusiasm is underwhelming" I hear him say, but I am distant today, unable to focus.
I wait for a moment, anticipating if he will stay in the office chair, or move to the wing back chair.
You see, the chair tells me alot about him.
Although I am there because his advice keeps me in my current existence, I must admit that the chair he chooses gives me a preview of his level of being plugged in and engaged in the conversation.

You see, the office chair speaks of casualness, like your favorite worn out pair of blue jeans with the rip. He leans way back, taps his fingers on the desk and checks his text messages when I hear his phone vibrate. Sometimes while speaking I do not make eye contact, but when I decide to, many times he is yawning or checking his watch.

Do not misunderstand my perception of "the chairs", I do not anguish over it as such that, it is what I perceive it to be.
I am in a foggy twilight, I hear the tone of his voice, and regardless that I am sitting in the same room, I do not hear.

It is obvious I am getting in my own way now, because I am focused on the wing back chair and when his time is spent there it speaks, I am a searchlight that will guide you and bring you to safety. No matter what storm you may be in. I am steadfast.

Oh, these heavy thoughts of mine. While some may see weakness in the mire thought of it all, those who do not tax their lives with forethought will never know the presence of still water.

No comments: