Saturday, March 24, 2007

Quiet

On Friday I had the pleasure of working in my most favorite areas. In the lake and river areas. The snow is gone and I have seen the first crocus bloom. The deer are thick in Lake Leba and I always remember to bring my camera, not just for the deer, but many things that I see there. Saw my first Cardinal hopping through the dry grass. In the morning, to hear the birds when all else is quiet is a wonderful thing. Sometimes I take a minute to sit on someone's patio and just listen, and think. I thought about how busy life is with a 6 year old, and how I would like to write more often. I thought about my lifelong friend and how I let his birthday go by without sending him a card or text message or something. I feel bad. We aren't the kind of friends that send a card every year, or acknowledge each others day every time. Our birthdays are only 10 days apart. I think of him even if I don't get that $3.99 Hallmark sent. I have been writing his birthday on my Calendar for about 30 years. Even after I was married, his name remained on the Calendar. He's that important. I wanted to wish him a Happy Birthday this year, but the time slipped away again for the verbal or paper birthday card. I wished him a Happy one, silently in my heart, while I listened to the wind in the evergreen trees.
At the Rod and Gun Club area along the river I took time out to see what the river was up to. A few weeks ago during a thaw, the "mighty" Platte River went over its banks and did some water damage to a few cabins. Mine barely made it out without getting hit by a huge ice chunk. (Huge was 10 inches thick and 6 by 4 feet). It, and many others were piled against my trees thus saving my little cabin from being removed from its foundation. When I bought my little getaway 3 years ago, the original owner said she hadn't had any problems with the river since 1979. Except till now..(It's that damn black sand I brought back from Hawaii, that's another story).

1 comment:

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

I felt you, babe. I really did.