Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Kids have feelings too

Things have been tough for my 8 year old son. I was talking out loud to myself on the drive home about the stresses in our lives due to some big changes, he stopped me and said he had stress in his life too. I asked him, "What stress are you having?" He replied, "Rocket math at school and I never get to see ---- anymore, when I think about it sometimes it makes me cry."

We have had lots of changes in our lives and do not have the same routine. Some people say kids adapt to change well, but I have to differ. Truly his little brain thinks like an adult. He feels what we feel. Pain, loneliness, sadness. enjoyment. He feels loss and has stressful times like an adult. I told him I was there for him, to come to me and talk about those things. When you love each other you do that. He said "Huh uh, you did that at ---- house one night, now he hates you and I hate him."

This person was a huge part of his life for years since he was little and then one day we never see or hear from him again. How am I suppose to explain that?

He's been doing good about sleeping in his own bed at night, but tonight he asked if we could read a book in my bed and I agreed. He fell asleep before the story was over, holding my hand.

No comments: