Wednesday, June 27, 2007

It happened so fast

Today while working something terrible happened.
Right in front of me.
I couldn't stop it from happening.
I witnessed a young boy get hit by a semi-truck.
I was walking from house to house reading meters.
3 boys ran to the cross walk and pushed the button...but couldn't wait for it to say WALK.
They thought they could get across in time. One didn't. The truck hit him. The driver pulled over immediately, when he got out he was as white as a sheet.
The boy was moaning and trying to walk. By the time I got across to him a woman came running from a house, and laid him in the grass. We tried to keep him calm. He was until he heard the sirens. Soon he was surrounded by paramedics and fireman, I stepped back.
I thought the woman was his mother, but she too was a bystander who came to help. He said he was staying with his Aunt, but had a babysitter. He was in shock and couldn't tell them more.
I overheard the paramedics say it was a possibly a broken leg. He was lucky.
The traffic was loud, they didn't hear me yell.
I went back to the office, I couldn't work any more that afternoon. I couldn't focus on my job.

When I picked up my son from daycare, he asked me how my day was, like he always does. He enjoys hearing my stories. I told him what happened. I cried. I realized how precious he is to me, and I told him that he was. He cried because I was crying. He came to me and hugged me tight and patted me on my back with his little hand. He didn't let go of me even when I relaxed my hug. He held me tight. When he released me, he looked at me and said, "I promise I won't ever do that mom, cuz I will remember this story, and I will wait until it says WALK.
I told him I loved him. He smiled and dashed off to watch Spongebob.
Take an extra second to love them, because it can only take a second to lose them.

No comments: