Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Remember what is important

15 years ago today my husband asked me to marry him. I remember it like it was yesterday. I came home from work about 10pm. he had some candles going on the stone floor in front of the fireplace, and he had some snacky things to eat. It was romantic. We had been dating for 5 years and we picked the ring out together, so I knew I was getting it. I just didn't know when.

Hes not normally that way. He worked really hard to make it special.
Then the dog got too close to the candles, and started his curly poodle hair on fire.

We went to Europe for our honeymoon.
We had some great vacations together, and traveled frequently.
We had a son after 8 years of marriage, I was 38.

As he climbed the corporate ladder at the Bank where he is employed, our life together became less important as his became more important. He is on numerous boards and is president of this organization and treasurer of another. He has bank golf outings with his friends and everybody in town knows him. He will soon be President of the bank, something he has always wanted.
Something I have always wanted for him. Along the way, he has forgotten what is really important, his family..

The bank won't be there to wipe his mouth when he is unable to do it himself. Nor will the people with whom he socializes with at the Golf Club. nor will I...

I filed for divorce.

I told him over and over what I needed, he listened, but didn't hear.
I am so sad for our son, for now he will be labeled. "Divorced parents"

Failed. I failed my son. I failed me. I am so sad.

Someday he will realize what is most important.
Too late.

2 comments:

Jack L. Bailey said...

Unfortunately, your story is far too common. I wrote a book entitled The Parental Peace Accord. It would make a good gift for your husband. The beneficiary is not me, the author, but your son. Go to www.TheParentalPeaceAccord.com for more information. I wish you, your son, and your husband the very best. -JB

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

It's always too late. But you needed to do it. Truly. It'll be better, trust me.