Friday, April 18, 2008

Oh Crystal Ball..

"You'll be in the large conference room" she said, and pointed towards a room with a huge wooden table with plush chairs. Them on one side, us on the other. "We will not pay for the child's college, not his sports equipment, activity fees, or any lessons he participates in." "We refuse to pay for a membership to the Club,or the YMCA." my husbands lawyer exclaimed. "My client is only responsible for what the child support guidelines say he is to pay. (It is irrelevent that he is President of the bank and makes 4 times what his wife makes reading meters.) "A judge would never make my client pay that."

I sit in this room hearing words going back and forth, glance across the table at my husband and wonder who he is and who has he become. Why did I think he would give more than was required by law? He leans back in his chair, seemingly comfortable with the way his lawyer is handling everything.

"It makes no difference that your client and her son are accustomed to swimming at the pool at the club, that was a perk of being married to my client." his lawyer exclaimed. "That may have been her lifestyle before, but we are not going to pay for her to continue that lifestyle." I hear his voice speak. I only wanted help in paying for the membership so our son could continue to use the pool.

14 years before
"I love you, will you marry me? We will have a wonderful life together, and someday I may be President of the Bank and you will never have to want for anything...."

No comments: