Sunday, April 20, 2008

Red wagon ride on the wild side

Usually when my son asks me to go outside and play with him, I dread it. Playing catch is not my favorite thing to do. Well, probably because I suck at it and I spend most of the time chasing the ball, or maybe it's because I throw like a girl. Oh, now really does that surprise you?

So when he asked me after dinner to go out and play I did that grit your teeth but still smiling say sure I would love too thing. Only this time he had something else planned. "Pull me in the wagon around the block" he said boldly like he wore the pants in the family. So I did. The fourth side of the block has no sidewalk so we have to go down the street. He decided he wanted to steer while I ran and pushed him. So, I'm running, pushing and yelling turn, turn, watch out for the car. Our weenie dog is running along side barking at me because I'm yelling at him. He's trying to steer but we are laughing so hard, we barely make it back home. We get to the top of the driveway and he turns the wagon around and points it down the drive towards the street. Then he says "Get in!" I'm like...ME? "I'm not getting in!" He looks at me laughing and says "Its your turn" So, okay I get into the little red wagon. Now let me tell you I weigh all of 110 pounds, but it was a tight squeeze getting my butt in the wagon.

"Mom?" he says. "Yeah?" I answered. "You know that show Christmas Vacation when he is on that sled and it goes so fast that flames are coming out"..he's laughing, I'm laughing, "It's going to be like that" and he starts running and pushing me down the driveway. (For God's sake I haven't driven a wagon in oh, maybe 40 years) You know where this is going don't you? Well just as he gets me to the end of the driveway, a blue van comes around the corner and me and the little red wagon come shooting out from behind the neighbors truck. Yes, it was just like the show Christmas Vacation.

Now this is fun, forget that playing catch stuff!!
We both fell laughing into the grass. He looks up at me and says "You want to do it again?" I jumped up, ran to the wagon and said "Well Yeah! But your going to have to go faster than that!

No comments: