Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Is a child's life really that care free?

Went with my son Reed after work to sign up for summer baseball. Was going for the 8am time slot so I can drop him off before I go to work. It was full. Not good. The situation got worse. The lady who signs them up was more than happy to announce that, his friend Matthew signed up with Brock. (They sign kids up in pairs now days so they can be assured they will be with their friend) His friend Jack signed up with Nic. Garrett signed up with Trevor. "Forget it, I don't want to play anymore" Reed exclaims, "All my friends already signed up with my friends!" "Nobody signed up with me!" The tears started flowing. A 7 year old is already exposed to the pain of being left out. So, I quietly sign him up for a different team, at a different park, at a different time. Which means I will have to drop him off at daycare and then they will transport him to the park at 9am. All the other kids will be able to have their parents drop them off.
Silently my tears begin.

Sometimes you wonder if your a good parent. How could I have made this different? Why didn't I get him signed up sooner. Did I not see the paper come home in the back pack? Why DID his FRIENDS sign up with other kids. Why didn't a Mom call me? Questions that will never get answered.

It is amazing how bad your heart can hurt for your child... How his pain becomes yours.

No comments: