Thursday, March 20, 2008

My favorite rope

When I was young, about 5 maybe 6 years old, I had a rope. It was one of those soft ones. It was about 6 feet long and I took it everywhere I went. Best part about it was my Dad tied a slip knot in it. I slipped that rope around everything..doorknob, toys, table legs, oven door, my neck..What? Yes I use to put this rope with the slip knot around my neck and drag the rope behind me. I'd go to the grocery store or to JCPenneys with my rope. (It was much like other kids and their blankie). My mom(strict as she was) had no problem with it. I remember being in my late 20's one day at JCPenneys and the older lady waiting on me said, "I remember when your Mom would bring you into the store and you always had that silly rope around your neck. We were always worried you were going to hang yourself on something!" I had to laugh! To me, it was just my rope, like your favorite doll or truck or blanket. It was just normal, now remember this was 40 years ago..nowadays they would have arrested my Mom for letting me drag it around. Strange as it sounds, I'm glad Mom let me do things like that..kinda like when we stood up in the front seat of the car when she was driving..
That's another story..

No comments: